Sunday, April 18, 2010

THE EFFECTS OF PAIN KILLERS

*** The image above shows unimaginable effect that pharmaceutical drugs such as Tylenol can have on an individual.***

Drug addiction not only occurs from illegal drugs; it also occurs from pharmaceutical drugs. When many people hear the words drug and addiction, they tend to think of illegal drugs. Prescription drugs such as Vicodin and Tylenol can be as addicting as marijuana and even cocaine. Pain killers can be highly addicting. Prescription drugs are rapidly becoming primary drugs of abuse in the United States and throughout the world. Prescription drugs are public health problems for many Americans. The relief of pain makes an individual feel good from taking pain killers, but it gets an individual hooked on it. For example, when I broke my arm, I took pain killers for the pain for a whole month. My body got hooked on it, and I couldn’t sleep without taking it. I starting by taking one pill which lead to the next pill, and by the time I noticed what I was doing, I was taking four pills of vicodin in one day. Pain killers can make one feel good for a while, but then, down the road, they cause a lot of problems. For example, American Heart Association states, "taking Tylenol for a long period of time can be highly addicting and cause serious liver, kidney, bladder problems sometimes even heart failure."

In fact, many of you probably have heard of "The Rush Limbaugh Show." If not, it is a radio show. Its host, Rush Limbaugh, announced during his radio program on Friday that he is addicted to painkillers and is checking into a rehab center to "break the hold of this highly addictive medication has on me" (Rush Limbaugh). The Associated Press confirmed that Limbaugh said he started taking painkillers “some years ago” after a doctor prescribed them after a spinal surgery. His back pain stemming from the surgery persisted, so Limbaugh said he started taking pills and became hooked. Limbaugh stated, "over the past several years, I have tried to break my dependence on pain pills, and in fact, twice checked myself into medical facilities in an attempt to do so." It is shocking to believe that taking some pain killers can force someone to check themselves into a rehabilitation center. Just a word to the wise: Be careful, and think twice before taking any types of prescription drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment